51. Dual Participation Rule
DUAL PARTICIPATION RULE
The USD 253 Athletic Handbook reads as follows regarding dual competition:
1. Student may participate in no more than two sports per season.
2. Student must meet with the athletic director prior to talking to coaches of the respective sports.
3. Student must receive written approval from the head coach of both sports. Without the approval of both coaches, a student must choose one of the sports within which to compete.
4. Student must designate a primary sport prior to final written approval for dual participation being granted by the athletic director. When the two schedules conflict, competition in the primary sport will take precedence over competition in the secondary sport. When practice schedules conflict, practice for the primary sport will take precedence. Competition of either sport will take precedence over practice of the other. Exceptions must be agreed upon by the two head coaches prior to the start of the season.
5. Student must maintain a current GPA of 2.0 with no D’s. Any GPA below 2.0 or grade below C will exclude the student from participation in the secondary sport until grades are above a D average. The student may have no more than five absences the semester prior to the season of dual participation.